Gluten Free Recipes
Please always check current Food List as gluten-free status of products can change.
Gluten-free fruit cakes are renowned for being problematic as the fruit tends to sink to the bottom. This recipe has been developed to ensure that this will not happen. The addition of ground almonds and grated carrots help with the structure of the cake and holds the fruit in place.
Serves 10 - 20
Before you start, pre-heat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2 and grease and line a 20cm (8inch) square tin or 22.5cm (9inch) round tin.
- Place the fruit in a pan of boiling water and return to the boil, stirring.
- Drain and rinse with cold water and then dry thoroughly.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the grated rind, eggs, Gluten- Free Mix, ground almonds and spices and mix in well.
- Stir in the fruit, cherries and carrots. Place the mixture in the prepared tin, leaving a slight hollow in the centre.
- Wrap a double piece of foil around the outside of the tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for 3½ - 4 hours.
- A fine skewer, when inserted in the cake, should come out completely clean when cooked.
- When completely cooked, wrap the cake in greaseproof paper and foil and store in a cool dry place.
1kg mixed dried fruit* ,
200g (8oz) margarine or butter,
200g (8oz) dark brown sugar,
1 lemon (grated rind),
1 orange (grated rind),
4 medium eggs (beaten),
250g (10oz) Juvela Gluten-Free Mix,
50g (2oz) ground almonds*,
1 tsp mixed spice,
1 tsp nutmeg,
75g (3oz) glacé cherries (chopped),
50g (2oz) carrots (peeled and grated.