Gluten Free Recipes
Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Please always check current Food List as gluten-free status of products can change.
Serves 6 - 8
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking parchment.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Whisk the egg and buttermilk together and beat half of it into the creamed mixture.
- Sift the cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into the Juvela Gluten-free mix. Carefully fold into the batter along with the remaining egg and milk mixture.
- Using a teaspoon place spoonfuls of mixture onto the prepared baking tray making sure they are spaced well apart to allow for spreading during cooking.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes in the pre-heated oven until they are firm to the touch. Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile make the buttercream icing by creaming together the butter and icing sugar. Add the vanilla extract and continue beatingthe mixture until creamy and smooth.
- Place a heaped teaspoonful of buttercream on the base of a cooled sponge disc and place another on top.
Press lightly to evenly spread the buttercream and to create a Whoopie Pie! Continue to sandwich together the remaining cakes.
- Decorate with the melted chocolate.
125g (5oz) Juvela Gluten-Free Mix 25g (1oz) cocoa powder* 1tsp bicarbonate of soda* 125ml (5fl oz) buttermilk 75g (3oz) softened butter 90g (3 1/2oz) soft brown sugar 1 egg
For the buttercream filling
100g (4oz) softened butter 200g (8oz) icing sugar (sifted)* 1tsp vanilla extract* 100g (4oz) milk/plain chocolate (melted)*