Packed lunches are a great way to make sure a coeliac child eats a healthy gluten-free meal. They can be tricky though especially if your child doesn’t take to eating gluten-free bread cold. Many gluten-free breads have to be heated or toasted to be at their best.
Gluten-free pita breads usually keep well (without crumbling or becoming soggy) in a lunch box. Fill with salad, cheese and gluten-free ham or turkey; or peanut butter and banana; or egg salad. It’s important to keep varying the lunchbox as much as possible.
Choose a balanced selection from the list below. Your dietitian can help you with balanced packed lunch options.
Fruit and Vegetables
- Fresh vegetable sticks such as carrot, peppers, baby sweet corn, sugar snap peas or cucumber
- Fresh fruit
- Dried fruit*
- Fruit in jelly
- Gluten-free pasta* salads with egg, vegetables, fish, meat, poultry or seafood
- Rice salads with egg, vegetables, fish, meat, poultry or seafood
- Potato salads*
- Bean salads
- Egg fried rice
- Cold gluten-free pizza*
- Tortilla chips*
- Gluten-free crackers*
- Rice cakes*
- Rice crackers*
- Gluten-free cereal bars*
- fresh fish, meat, poultry or seafood
- peanut butter
* Remember to always check the Food List for those items marked with an asterisk.