Cross contamination, in the context of coeliac disease, is the process by which a gluten-free product loses that status because it comes into contact with something that is not gluten-free.
There is a risk of cross contamination when chips are cooked in the same oil as battered or breaded products.
Providing Safe Gluten-Free Food for your Customers
Following these steps should help all establishments provide safe gluten-free chips for customers.
- Separate, clean oil should be used to fry chips and or gluten-free battered fish, chicken dippers, onion rings etc. Simply filtering the oil or bringing the temperature of the oil to just below boiling point will not render the contaminated oil gluten-free. Having a separate fryer is a realistic way to accommodate customers with coeliac disease.
- Separate tongs and or serving spoons should be used to serve chips and gluten-free products to prevent cross-contamination.
- Ensure display cabinets are cleaned and free from non-gluten-free batter scraps.
- Make sure that all equipment used when making gluten-free batter is thoroughly cleaned and not contaminated with wheat flour.
- Ensure staff are trained in cooking with gluten-free products and are aware of the risks of cross-contamination.
- Ensure counter staff are trained and are aware of how to serve up gluten-free products and to be aware of the requirements of their customers.
- Make sure that ketchup and sauces used with the chips are a suitable brand – check the current Catering List or Food List. Always remember to check labels on these products also as ingredients and manufacturing processes can change.
- Salt and Vinegar are gluten-free, including malt vinegar.
- Ensure packaging is clean and free from other contaminates such as any sauces.
Gluten-free batter should not be made with Budweiser! Beverages derived from a brewing process – Beers, Stouts, Lagers, Ales etc. are NOT gluten-free.
Gluten-free Batter Mix is available from Glu2Go.
Sourcing Gluten-Free Products
A great new product will be available shortly for Fish and Chip shops and restaurants – battered and breaded gluten-free fish fillets.
FASTNET CATCH Ltd.
(Harbour Drive, Baltimore, Co Cork – 087 0966342)
Gluten Free Battered/Breaded Fillets of Haddock,
Gluten Free Battered/Breaded Goujons of Haddock.