Cross contamination, in the context of coeliac disease, is the process by which a gluten-free product loses that status because it comes into contact with something that is not gluten-free.
There is a risk of cross contamination when chips are cooked in the same oil as battered or breaded products.
Providing Safe Gluten-Free Food for your Customers
Following these steps should help all establishments provide safe gluten-free chips for customers.
- Separate, clean oil should be used to fry chips and or gluten-free battered fish, chicken dippers, onion rings etc. Simply filtering the oil is not sufficient. Having a separate fryer is a realistic way to accommodate customers with coeliac disease.
- Separate tongs and or serving spoons should be used to serve chips and gluten-free products to prevent cross-contamination.
- Ensure display cabinets are cleaned and free from non-gluten-free batter scraps.
- Make sure that all equipment used when making gluten-free batter is thoroughly cleaned and not contaminated with wheat flour.
- Ensure staff are trained in cooking with gluten-free products and are aware of the risks of cross-contamination.
- Ensure counter staff are trained and are aware of how to serve up gluten-free products and to be aware of the requirements of their customers.
- Make sure that ketchup and sauces used with the chips are a suitable brand - check the current Catering List or Food List. Always remember to check labels on these products also as ingredients and manufacturing processes can change.
- Salt and Vinegar are gluten-free, including malt vinegar.
- Ensure packaging is clean and free from other contaminates such as any sauces.
Gluten-free batter should not be made with Budweiser! Beverages derived from a brewing process - Beers, Stouts, Lagers, Ales etc. are NOT gluten-free.
Gluten-free Batter Mix is available from Glu2Go.
Sourcing Gluten-Free Products
A great new product will be available shortly for Fish and Chip shops and restaurants - battered and breaded gluten-free fish fillets.
FASTNET CATCH Ltd.
(Harbour Drive, Baltimore, Co Cork - 087 0966342)
Gluten Free Battered/Breaded Fillets of Haddock,
Gluten Free Battered/Breaded Goujons of Haddock.